Depending on the age of your child and the concerns you have identified, Little Sparks OT use a combination of parent/carer interview, observation of play or functional activities, and standardised or formal assessments.
Therapy is designed according to your child’s individual needs. Careful consideration is also given to what will work best for your family. High value is placed on ensuring therapy is achievable and setting realistic expectations for your child and family.
Assessments and interventions may include:
- Fine motor skills (grasp and release of objects, strength, dexterity, and using 2 hands together)
- Gross motor and mobility skills (crawling, walking, wheelchair skills, core strength, balance, and co-ordination)
- Handwriting (letter formation, orientation to line, speed, legibility, written expression)
- Self-care skills (dressing, managing shoes and socks, personal hygiene, toileting)
- Visual motor skills (knowing where limbs are in space, eye-hand co-ordination)
- Cognitive and perceptual skills (visual memory, problem solving, visual sequencing)
- Executive functioning skills (planning, self-organisation, working memory)
- Sensory processing (increased or decreased sensitivity to auditory, visual, tactile stimuli)
- Self-regulation (managing behaviour and emotions in different environments)
- Social-emotional skills (separating from parent, playing appropriately with siblings / peers)
- Play Skills (imaginary or pretend play, engaging in new play sequences)
Parent / Carer Education and Home Programs
Did you know that throughout a typical day there are multiple opportunities for your child to engage in “therapy” without even realising?
When developing an intervention plan, I always aim to integrate therapy activities within a child’s or family’s everyday routine as much as possible. This approach helps your child to achieve their goals faster rather than relying purely on therapist-facilitated sessions. Plus, you can continue to work on your child’s therapy in between our scheduled appointments!
Parent / carer education ensures that you have a thorough understanding of the goals, purpose, and recommended interventions.
Home and School Visits
Children are often more relaxed and willing to participate in assessments and therapy in familiar surroundings. Progression and development of functional skills is amplified when children practice in context within their everyday environments.
I complete observational assessments of your child’s performance and participation in certain tasks, and identify tools and resources already available within your home and/or school environment.
Home, school, and preschool visits enable parents, teachers, and therapists to have a collaborative team approach to your child’s learning and development.
I offer online consultations to enable access to therapy services from the comfort of your own home that is flexible around busy family life.
Online consultations are a great way to maintain momentum with therapy goals during school holidays if you live in a remote location or simply too far from where I can physically travel.
Reports and Letters
I am happy to provide therapy reports and letters to medical specialists as required.
I do not routinely write reports unless they are requested or are a requirement of your funding package (e.g. NDIS progress reports or Medicare rebated plans).